Friday, January 21, 2011

The Art of A Break Up

I would trade my boyfriend for a puppy. I'm not sure why people laugh or seem surprised when I say this, I really would, and it wouldn't take much thought.

The poor thing would be so upset if he knew that, but hey! I'm just not that into you buddy. What was supposed to be a summer fling somehow turned into a drawn out relationship. Kid needs to be dating a 19 year old, not me. Don't get me wrong, he does cute stuff. Well he used to get me candy sometimes? Now he squeezes my belly and sticks his hands up my shirt any chance he gets. Before last night's $20 dinner, the last time we could remember going out to do something was New Years. We've walked his dogs (to buy him some time) and gone ice skating since then, all of which have been my suggestion.

At a certain point, I think people just stay in relationships because breaking up with someone is a serious pain in my ass! It's sure as hell my reason! Unless you're sick in the head, that face they make, and the claims of affection, and the "I'll do anything"s are almost enough to break your resolve. All after much planning of when to execute said break up. It can't be too close to a holiday, birthday, death or injury because you look like a jerk. You start wondering if you can force him to break up with you somehow. Usually by being a complete bitch or trying to catch him cheat by convincing a friend to hook up with him. But this rarely works out, and often does the opposite- somehow making you more endearing.

So I wonder, is it even worth the effort? Thinking up my valid reasons and counter-arguments for the break up is quite time consuming. Maybe I could just say what I want to say in my typical mannerism and end it like that. I always want to ease into it to lessen his pain, but it might actually be easier on both parties to just be blunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment