Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Thou shall know their bartender!
We all have those bars where you walk in and can pretty much determine how the rest of your night's going to go from there. Personally, a nice lounge or laid back spot with ample space to dance or sit is my golden ticket. But there are the occasions on which I much prefer a local dive. They can be identified by any of the following: juke box, pool table, darts, pin ball machines, keno, and touch screen bar games. Expect heads to turn when you walk in, scowling, wondering who you know and why you're here. If it's your dive bar you'll know at least a few people, some by sight, less by name. The bar tender knows you and if you're me, hooks you up with the strongest cheapest drinks in town. You'll probably be one of three girls, if you came with one. Everyone will seem to know each other, as even on their busiest nights, it's pretty mello. Most dive bars are pretty niche, and it's fun to play along. I once stumbled upon on old biker's bar called The Gin Mill on my way back into Amherst. The bikers and their chicks got a kick out of my friend and me, as we stuck out like Kenyans in China. We chatted up the guys who came over wondering how and why we were drinking amongst them and I befriended an older woman at the bar.  Ten dollars and four drinks later, we had a good buzz on and bid our new friends adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment